The Hancock County truss bridge is also called ‘The White Bridge’, for obvious reasons. It is painted white all over. It is also known as ‘The Hays Bridge’
It was built in 1887 by the Columbia Bridge Company and is a wrought iron , pinned Pratt through truss.
The bridge spans 89.9 feet and has an overall length of 91.8 feet.
Originally this bridge had a wooden floor, but in an earlier restoration, the wooden floor was replaced with an expanded metal grating, which in this restoration, that metal gratins was painted the same color as the rest of the bridge.
The bridge plaque was replicated and placed on each end of the bridge on one of the end posts.
Hancock County Indiana, Hays bridge, or ‘White Bridge’